1. The late Sir F. Buxton had a great faith in the self-training power of men. He thus expresses himself: "I am very sure that a young man may be very much what he pleases. In my case, I am quite certain it was so.
2. "I left school, where I had learned little or nothing, at the age of fourteen. I spent the next year at home, learning to shoot and hunt.
3. "Then the prospect of going to college first opened upon me. I made my resolves, and acted up to them. I gave up all desultory reading, never looked into a novel, and abandoned shooting.
4. "During the five years I was in Ireland, I had the liberty of going when I pleased to a capital shooting place; but I went only twice.
5. "In short, I considered every hour as precious; and I made every thing bend to my determination not to be behind any of my companions; and thus I speedily passed from one species of character to another.
6. "I had been a boy fond of pleasure and idleness, reading only books of mere amusement; but I speedily became a youth of steady habits, of close application, and fixed resolution.
7. "I soon gained the ground which I had lost, and found those things which were difficult and almost impossible to my idleness, easy enough to my industry; and much of my happiness and all my prosperity in life have resulted from the change I then made.
8. "My young friend, it all rests with yourself. If you seriously resolve to be energetic and industrious, depend upon it, you will, for your whole life, have reason to rejoice that you were wise enough to form that determination, and then to act upon it."
What is the letter a in the wordlate in the first line? What sound has it? Give its element.
What is owin the word power, in the second line? Give its element.
What is d in the word had in the second paragraph? Give its element.
What is T in the word at? Give its element.
What combination is in the word but in the sixth paragraph? Pronounce it. Give the element of each letter in the combination.
What important lesson may you learn from this example of Mr. Buxton?